beaktastic

Heart says

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, and make life wonder how the FUCK you did it. Here’s what’s what: I go by many names: Becky, Beaks, Heart, Red, Squirrel, the Phantom Giggler, Teapot, Beckatron Farmfoods and (reluctantly) Pordie. I'm ginger. And proud of it! I'm from the BEST city in England, aka. NEWCASTLE! And no, I don't have a geordie accent. I have an older sister. I have two gorgeous miniature schnauzers called Fizz and Pepper. <3 I went to a private school for girls. And had a good time. And met some amazing friends. I went to Uni in York. I had an AMAZING time and loved it so much. And I met some amazing friends. I'm studying Archaeology. I love Japanese culture. I like Anime. And video games. So? I've worked in pubs since I was 16. I have a facebook addiction :/ I love dancing around to music in my room. I have a thing about punctuality. And quotes. I LOVE TAKING PHOTOS! :D Langwith till I die!

American Gods
Neil Gaiman
Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
Richelle Mead
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) - Veronica Rossi This was an enjoyable book, if a short one (compared to what I've been reading lately anyway).

'Under the Never Sky' is about a dystopian future, where humanity has basically been split into two. One half of the human population live inside Pods, where they spend their whole lives inside Realms, basically virtual realities where they can do whatever they want or desire. The other half lives outside, hunting for what food they can find and trying to survive the dangerous Aether storms that threaten to destroy their villages. Aria is from the Pods and has always lived in comfortable ignorance and bliss, where as Perry is an Outsider who has always struggled to survive. Aria suddenly finds herself outside the safety of the Pods and their two worlds are suddenly brought crashing together and they need to depend on each other.

I thought the world this book was set in was really interesting and quite different to other stuff I've read and was rather well thought out. I felt it took a little while to grasp everything that was going on here and to understand everything as some stuff isn't explicitly explained straight away, which makes sense in a way as we are dropped into the action and characters wouldn't just explain everything about their lives for no reason if you know what I mean.

I thought the characters were really well written and thought out as well. Aria starts off as somewhat annoying which makes sense given where she's grown up, and Perry can be harsh as well, but they both grow softer and nicer as the book goes on and they adjust to each other's company and they fall in love. Both main characters grow and develop and change as well which was nice to see. Which I thought was another well written aspect, as it does take it's time to develop and it isn't instantaneous. Roar was a good and amusing character, the perfect joker best friend really. Cinder was an interesting character as well, who I look forward to seeing how he develops and his past is explained in future books. Marron was a good character too.

I thought the overall story was really good and the events were pretty true and realistic for the world. I thought the ending part was a tad rushed though but it'll be interesting to see what happens in future books. I thought the ending, although a bit rushed, was good though and set up the characters in a nice way for the next book... until the very last page though which was just cliched and silly and just obviously so it would have a happier ending.

Overall, I thought this was a good book, well thought out and the characters were good and really interesting, and I'm interested to see what the next book is about.