beaktastic

Heart says

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, and make life wonder how the FUCK you did it. Here’s what’s what: I go by many names: Becky, Beaks, Heart, Red, Squirrel, the Phantom Giggler, Teapot, Beckatron Farmfoods and (reluctantly) Pordie. I'm ginger. And proud of it! I'm from the BEST city in England, aka. NEWCASTLE! And no, I don't have a geordie accent. I have an older sister. I have two gorgeous miniature schnauzers called Fizz and Pepper. <3 I went to a private school for girls. And had a good time. And met some amazing friends. I went to Uni in York. I had an AMAZING time and loved it so much. And I met some amazing friends. I'm studying Archaeology. I love Japanese culture. I like Anime. And video games. So? I've worked in pubs since I was 16. I have a facebook addiction :/ I love dancing around to music in my room. I have a thing about punctuality. And quotes. I LOVE TAKING PHOTOS! :D Langwith till I die!

American Gods
Neil Gaiman
Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
Richelle Mead
Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) - Michael J. Sullivan I read this (belatedly) for a group read for Fantasy Fanatics.

Theft of Swords contains the first two books in the Riyria Revelations series which primarly follows the story of Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn, better known as Riyria. Hadrian and Royce are skilled thieves and mercenaries, and already have a fearsome reputation. Then one night they take a job... and wind up being framed for the murder of the King of Melengar. What follows is big adventure to find out who is framing them and why.

I did really enjoy the book. I thought it was pretty exciting and interesting and did keep me guessing a bit (although certain things were fairly predictable and followed some common fantasy tropes and cliches), although I did also think that each book was quite short.

I did wonder if the books would blend seamlessly together since they're in one volume but they were clearly separated and had quite different storylines so felt very different, which is good in that they are clearly different books, but at the same time meant that as one big book it didn't quite flow as well.

As mentioned briefly earlier, the book follows many common fantasy tropes, particularly in relation to dwarves and elves which did put me off slightly as I am quite sick of dwarves and the like. But for the most part I was able to forgive these little tropes.

I fell in love with Hadrian and Royce straight away. I love these sort of partnerships and I just loved these two. Hadrian is a master of combat but with a big heart and Royce is the more masterful thief with a skill for seeing in the dark and the more stoic of the pair. They were perfect main characters, although some parts of their pasts were easy to predict. In book 1 Alric was interesting I guess, although his personality changed very quickly and drastically throughout the course of the book although I guess that's sorta to be expected given how short the book was. Arista is okay although slightly annoying. Myron was kinda loveable as was Thrace in book 2 and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her in future books.

Overall, an enjoyable book.