beaktastic

Heart says

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice, and make life wonder how the FUCK you did it. Here’s what’s what: I go by many names: Becky, Beaks, Heart, Red, Squirrel, the Phantom Giggler, Teapot, Beckatron Farmfoods and (reluctantly) Pordie. I'm ginger. And proud of it! I'm from the BEST city in England, aka. NEWCASTLE! And no, I don't have a geordie accent. I have an older sister. I have two gorgeous miniature schnauzers called Fizz and Pepper. <3 I went to a private school for girls. And had a good time. And met some amazing friends. I went to Uni in York. I had an AMAZING time and loved it so much. And I met some amazing friends. I'm studying Archaeology. I love Japanese culture. I like Anime. And video games. So? I've worked in pubs since I was 16. I have a facebook addiction :/ I love dancing around to music in my room. I have a thing about punctuality. And quotes. I LOVE TAKING PHOTOS! :D Langwith till I die!

American Gods
Neil Gaiman
Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3)
Richelle Mead
The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2) - Peter V. Brett Just a short review, as I finished this on my holidays last week and have already started book 3!

I did really enjoy this book. The first third of it followed the story of Ahmann Jardir as he grew up in Krasia and trained to become a powerful warrior and eventually head of Krasia, as we knew him to be in the previous book. It was interesting to see this side of Jardir and learn more about him, as he became a really well rounded character in this book, compared to the fleeting glimpse of a character we saw in the previous book.

Having said that, I did miss reading about the continuation of Arlen, Leesha and Rojer's stories for the entire first third of the book. So on the one hand I wish this backstory was a bit more spaced out, but at the same time I realise that we wouldn't appreciate Jardir as much without this backstory fully explained beforehand.

Brett continued to show how skilled a worldbuilder he is in this book too, as the world is so fully expanded and explored and I found myself totally drawn into it.

The characters continue to grow and develop which is nice to see. There are new additions to the main cast in Inevera, Jardir's first wife and a powerful holy woman with the ability to tell the future using demon bones, and Renna Tanner, met briefly in the first book. Renna grew up in Tibbet's Brook and was supposed to marry Arlen before he ran off, and now is condemned to live in misery on her fathers farm.

I didn't particularly like Renna to be honest. She was okay at the beginning and did slowly grow on me and I felt sorry for her, but by the end I found her particularly annoying. And the ending! WHAAAATTTTTTTTTTT!!!!??

Overall, a good book and a good continuation of the story and continuing to build the world.